Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Making a Personalized Towel

I have been making a WHOLE lot of these lately. Cute huh? They are great gifts for Mother's Day, Graduation, Teacher Gifts, Father's Day, Wedding Gifts. I have had ton s of bride's order them for bridesmaid's gifts. It is the perfect time of year. The weather is getting warm and with May approaching, thoughts of Summer are dancing in the head's of all of all school children and parents, too!
Wanna know how to do it yourself?
Start with a towel
( I use a regular old bath towel- a large 100% cottom fast drying one, but still, a bath towel)
and some of this stuff. Meet my new best friend, Heat and Bond.
Who knew?
Just follow the instructions on the package. It is easy.
Just iron the fabric onto the heat n bond. I just draw with a fabric marker directly onto the fabric the letter or design that I want and then cut it out.
 Peel the back off....
 Then place on the towel and iron onto it.
 A few zig zag stitches later ...
( take your time on this part....you have to keep it in line!)
and WAH-LAH!
 You don't even need an embroidery machine for this little project!
 The possibilities are ENDLESS!
 Favorite dog breed?
Show your team spirit!
I took this one a step further and embroidered it, but it would be cute without the name.

I hope you have fun with this.
Don't feel like making your own? Let the Pickle Tree do the work for you!


Wanna see some more AMAZING ideas? Go on over to Savvy Southern Style and check out all of the entries for Wow us Wednesday!

Or- check out Blue Cricket Design for Show and Tell!

Or hop on over to one of my FAVORITES! The Lettered Cottage For How To's Day!
The Lettered Cottage
It is amazing how many talented people there are out there- go forth and be wowed!

6 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

This is such a cute idea and I am going to feature it on my feature post today. Thanks for joining WUW last week!

Pickled Blu said...

Thanks Kim!
What an honor!

Vickie said...

I found your blog from Savvy Southern Style! Love the idea and saw your brother sewing machine. Would love to know how you like it. I am thinking of getting a machine that can do simple embroidery. My kids are always saying they don't know which towel is theirs. This would solve the problem!

Pickled Blu said...

Vickie~ I love my brother. I just got it in December and since then I have started a full blown embroidery business with it! I joke and tell my husband that the sewing maching makes me look good. It is the Brother SE 400. It is so user friendly. I have been loving it since I took it out of the box! One tip if you do buy a brother. Someone told me this and it really has helped. I think it is a thread snob! I use only guterman's embroidery thread. When I have tried other threads...I have had noting but trouble! Hope this helps and have fun with it!

Tatum said...

This is so fun! I love it. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I have a random question, do I need to use a different needle on my machine to sew though a thick towel?

Pickled Blu said...

Tatum- I use my regular old needle. Works like a charm!